Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Saw Desolation of Smaug (WARNING: SPOILERS)

Yep. Saw it. And I was not entirely blown away.

Was it good? Yeah, I would say it was a good movie, I would see it again. Was it a fantastic movie? Yeeees, I guess you could say that. Was it extremely well made? The animation was pretty good, but I wouldn't say the plot/events that took place were well made.

Let me give you some background of my "Hobbit"familiarization. I've had the book read to me several times as a kid, and then I've probably read it myself. Along with that, I've seen the cartoon movie of the Hobbit countless times. So I've had a pretty good idea of how the story goes, and have been somewhat attached to the story, and am sensitive to change.

Desolation of Smaug was good, but...most of the events in the story that were so catchy and had impact in the book's readers seemed to be rushed in the movie. For instance, Mirkwood forest. They were in that forest for maybe...Ten minutes of the movie?? Or less??? The spiders were cool, but there was no conversing between Bilbo and the spiders. It was all just rushed so the movie could get to the action. And more action and more action and more action and more action. Which is kind of weird, I'll admit, because if a movie doesn't have much action then I typically don't enjoy it. XD And then Tauriel shows up... And I have a question relating to Tauriel... Why is she in this movie at all??? WHY??? She doesn't need to be there. All she does is just kill orcs in RIDICULOUSLY cheesy ways and fall in love with one of the dwarfs. She didn't need to be in the story. Another scene that wasn't rushed, but man oh man oh man oh man it was NOT in the book. The whole Smaug vs. Dwarfs fight scene. What the heck. It was crazy and action packed I'll give it that, but WHY? They just wanted to extend the movie another hour? I thought they were trying to make it look like a video game after a while, it was just: dwarfs evading Smaug, make it to a different level, run into smaug again, do something crazy, escape again... Ok, we get it. Smaug is too stupid to kill a few dwarfs. Smaug was cool, don't get me wrong, he was a killer dragon with an epic rumbling voice, but I dunno...

It was a good movie. I won't go through every detail of what I like or didn't like about it, but it was fun. :)




1 comment:

  1. Wow, I agree with everything you said.

    I was really disappointed about Mirkwood too. I wish it had been just a little longer. And maybe more scary. I wasn't really that scared. I wanted to be scared. Haha.

    Though I did kind of like Tauriel. She pretty much filled the same purpose as Arwen in LOTRs come to think of it. I like Tauriel more than Arwen. And I thought she was pretty. XD But I agree, she didn't need to be in the movie.

    Oh and I didn't know Legolas was the prince of Mirkwood. In the couple years I've been a big fan of LOTR, I never knew that about him. And I didn't know he was the son of Thranduil either. XD I was completely ignorant of where Legolas came from. I just thought he was just some random elf. HAHA!

    I really liked when Gandalf used his staff to defend himself against Sauron. His "force field" looked a little fake, it didn't really have a very polished look to it. It was just kind of a bland circle. But it honestly didn't bother me that much. I really liked how the pupil of the Eye of Sauron turned into his bodily form. That was pretty epic. B-|

    Overall, I really like the first Hobbit more than this one. Something about it just seemed better. I think of it like LOTR. Fellowship of the Ring is really good. Return of the King is superb. And The Two Towers is kind of sitting there. Haha, that's my opinion of the LOTR trilogy!

    I give Desolation of Smaug an overall rating of 6/10 bad aiming dragons. XD

    (I may just post this on Soda Shop) Haha.

    ReplyDelete